Coalition Minutes 2015-12-08

A G E N D A

Tuesday,  December 8, 2015

Arizona Peer and Family Member Coalition

Family Involvement Center

5333 N 7th St., Suite A-100

Phoenix, AZ 85014

2:30 – 4:30 PM

Note: We will dedicate the first 30 minutes of the meeting for persons to get acquainted.  The formal meeting will commence at 3:00 PM.

  1. Introductions                                                                        3:00 – 3:05
  2. Review and Approve Minutes                                               3:05 – 3:10
  3. Updates                                                                               3:10 – 3:20
    1. Financial Reports -October 2015 Financials
    2. Training
    3. Communication
    4. Emergency Response
  4. Report from Work group regarding  Helping Families            3:20 – 3:30                                                                 in Mental Health Crisis Act
  5. Partnership with MMIC Training Unit – Michael Tripp
  6.  – Potential Coalition role in advising on needed training      3:30 – 4:00
  7. Nominations for Coalition Directors and Officers                  4:00 – 4:15
  8. Plans for a Mental Health/Criminal Justice Conference        4:15 – 4:20
  9. Adjourn, network, share informally                                       4:20  on…

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/402067421

You can also dial in using your phone.

United States (long distance) +1 (626) 425-3121

Access Code 402-067-421

 

M I N U T E S

DATE:     Tuesday, December 8, 2015

TIME:       3:00 – 4:50

ATTENDEES:   Vicki Johnson, Ronnie Johnson, Debra Jorgensen,  Alfred Swanson, Carol McDermott, Ralph Engler, Karen Young, Krista Long, Lisa Eddy, Bobbie Tabor, Geralyn Gormley, Jane Zackman, Barb Lang, Mike Tripp

On Go to Meeting:        Andy Bernstein, Sherry Candelabra and Jill Hogan

   1.                  Introductions:

All present introduced themselves.

 2.   Review and Approve Minutes

The minutes were reviewed and approved unanimously.

3.                  Updates

A.   Financial reports: November 2015 Financial Reports 

Simplified financial reports for November, 2015 were reviewed and approved unanimously.

As a follow-up to the November meeting, Carol McDermott distributed a list of committees for which stipends are paid.  There are abbreviations in the financials for the stipends paid for each committee.  The list explains the full names of the committees listed,

Carol also distributed an additional form that she would like to collect from persons who receive stipends.  These persons receive stipend as independent contractors and as such do not receive workman’s comp coverage.  This form confirms that and also indicates that the individual could obtain their own workman’s comp coverage if they wanted to.  There was some discussion about helping people obtain their own workman’;s comp coverage. but the cost would probable be prohibitive compared to the amount they receive for stipends.  If a person were to be injured while serving on a committee, they could probably receive some coverage for an injury through MMIC’s liability insurance.

B. Training 

There was a brief report for this area.  The November support group met in the FIC parking lot because of a miscommunication about securing a room for the meeting.  One person attended the meeting.  The person discussed the change in peer and family representation on committees.

C. Communication

Krista Long reported that the website was up-to-date.  There was room on the Website for additional content and for a Calendar.

D. Emergency Response

There was no report.

4.               Report on Helping Families in Mental Health Crisis Act:

Deborah Jorgensen reported that there had not been any meetings in the past month.  The committee will work on a letter that would come form the Coalition.  Ronnie Johnson reported that she wrote a letter to her congressperson about the Murphy bill.  There was more discussion about persons writing a letter to their own congressperson.

There was discussion that Andrew Sperling, Legislative Director from NAMI National , will speak at the NAMI AZ Annual Meeting on January 30 at the Ability 360 Center.  Coalition members may also wish to attend the meeting to hear his views on this legislation.

 

Carol McDermott reported that the NAMI Watchdogs will begin attending important legislative hearings when the legislature reconvenes in January.  This would be an opportunity for Coalition members to help demonstrate the importance of Behavioral Health issues tot the legislature.  More information will be forthcoming.

5.  Partnership with the MMIC Training Unit

Mike Tripp from the MMIC Training Unit asked that the Coalition provide some suggestions to his unit about training needs for the system.  There was some active discussion about ideas this might be pursued.  There was agreement that the January Agenda will provide an opportunity for the Coalition to narrow down ideas for a training project.  Then, the Coalition will meet again with Mike again in February to discuss further.

6. By-Law Revisions

There was discussion about By-Law changes for the Coalition.  New By-Laws that were approved by the current Coalition Board were distributed.  Also applications for Coalition membership was distributed.  Also, applications for Coalition membership was distributed.  All persons who attend meetings, who attest that they are a peer or family member and who apply to be a member may be a Coalition member.  All Coalition members will be asked to vote for Board members. Persons who are eligible to be on the Board are the following:

Vicki Johnson, Richard Beeman, Carol McDermott, Krista Long, Karen Young, Jill Hogan, Jim Dunn, Deb Jorgensen, Sherry Candelaria and Phil Sawyer.

An election of these candidates will be conducted at the January meeting.  The Board will elect officers (President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer).

A brief bio of these people will be included with the ballot.

7.  Plans for the Mental Health/Criminal Justice Conference

There was a discussion about this conference which is planned for June 9-10.  Work is still going on to secure a meeting place for the conference.  The Franciscan Renewal Center was suggested.  Expansion is going on that would make it large enough for the conference.

8.  Adjourn, network, share informally:

The meeting was adjourned at 4:50 p.m..